Views on suspension after test drive

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Hi to you all,

I am a newcomer and have not yet ordered an ID4 but really want to. I was going to buy a Tesla Model Y but was appalled by the number of forum complaints relating to poor paint quality.

After several test drives of other cars (Tesla Model Y, Ionic 5, Mach -E, Kia EV6 etc) my wife & I took out the ID4 for a drive across all sorts of roads. The test car was fitted with 20" wheels whereas we would go for 19".

Overall we were really impressed with the quality of build (well VW have always made good cars) and the handling - apart from the ride quality on an urban street where the surface had been repaired numerous times - no pole holes though. We found that the car jiggled up and down and was most uncomfortable. The rest of the test drive had been on A roads, including the A303 dual carriageway at 70 mph, and country lanes wide enough for one car - all of which the ride was impressive. The salesman commented that it can do this due its weight?!!!!!! We certainly have not experienced it in any of our previous test drives

Has anyone else experienced this jiggling up and down?
It has delayed our decision as to even place an order.

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've had my ID4 for just coming up to one year and have 20" wheels. I have driven on all sorts of roads and have no complaints about the ride. I don't know how far your budget stretches, but on the Max, it has Dynamic Chassis Control, which allows you to alter the ride.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Thank you for your response.
The Tesla Model Y has a firm ride but we found it overall acceptable. The ID 4 was very much better on all roads except for this side street in our local town. We have used this same street during the test drives of some of the other cars without a problem. I wouldn’t say it will stop us ordering the ID4 but it does concern us.
Maybe we can get a test drive in one with 19” wheels.
Still a very good car.
Helisupp

Post by Helisupp »

I have the ID4 MAX on 19 inch wheels, superb ride especially compared to Tesla model Y, terrible local roads where we live and rarely go on motorways..

Yes iI agree, maybe a little bit of jiggling, but my back loves soft suspension (when selected) and the massage seats.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Thank you for your response. Seems like I need to dig a little deeper into the piggy bank and go for the Max!
Helisupp

Post by Helisupp »

REMEMBER..........

The max has totally different front seats from the other ID4 models, more side supportive (sports) and back is one piece with no separate headrests, plus lower seat extensions, make sure you find them comfortable. before ordering.
Andy_8

Post by Andy_8 »

I totally recommend the DCC option if you can stretch that far.
I would say that on softest (Individual setting) its as comfortable as a Citroen C5 Air-cross (Without the floating boat sensation of the Citroen)
I have driven a few C5 Air-cross for a few weeks and over long distances and almost bought one. (Glad I didn't)
2021 ID4 GTX (MAX)
Top Sport - Design Plus - Infotainment Plus - Assistance Plus - Sport Plus
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Foxy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:39 pm Hi to you all,

I am a newcomer and have not yet ordered an ID4 but really want to. I was going to buy a Tesla Model Y but was appalled by the number of forum complaints relating to poor paint quality.

After several test drives of other cars (Tesla Model Y, Ionic 5, Mach -E, Kia EV6 etc) my wife & I took out the ID4 for a drive across all sorts of roads. The test car was fitted with 20" wheels whereas we would go for 19".

Overall we were really impressed with the quality of build (well VW have always made good cars) and the handling - apart from the ride quality on an urban street where the surface had been repaired numerous times - no pole holes though. We found that the car jiggled up and down and was most uncomfortable. The rest of the test drive had been on A roads, including the A303 dual carriageway at 70 mph, and country lanes wide enough for one car - all of which the ride was impressive. The salesman commented that it can do this due its weight?!!!!!! We certainly have not experienced it in any of our previous test drives

Has anyone else experienced this jiggling up and down?
It has delayed our decision as to even place an order.
It is quite a firm ride, but it is a heavy car so the suspension is pretty heavy to cope with it. Round this part of north Worcestershire the roads are pretty poor and it’s noticeable, particularly after previously owning an R Line Passat estate but you get used to it and my dog hasn’t chucked up in the back yet so happy days.
ID.4 1st edition
Twiglet21

Post by Twiglet21 »

Yes, I've noticed on some urban roads with multiple road repairs (but no potholes) on the same patch of road it can be quite bumpy/ choppy. Generally offset though by the comfortable ride on all other surfaces. I agree it may be due to the weight of the car. My dog doesn't notice it and hasn't chucked up in the back of the car (...yet!) She is very calm in the boot.
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

What wheels & Tyres are on the cars your driving? I’ve no complaints over he ride quality at all. 18” with 235/60/18 tyres.
I’ve noticed some of the 20” wheels are 235/45
& 21” are 235/35.
Lower profile tyres look great on large rims but comfort will be compromised. I’ve a T6 with 20” 35 tyres with lowered suspension. I can feel every bump in the road but it looks great.
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps Moonstone