Winter Driving

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

With less daylight, colder and wetter weather and all the energy required to keep our cars fully functioning, it may be a good idea for us to monitor how things are working out. If you would like to, you can share your experiences here. After all, this will be our first winter driving an EV.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Warrior wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:49 am With less daylight, colder and wetter weather and all the energy required to keep our cars fully functioning, it may be a good idea for us to monitor how things are working out. If you would like to, you can share your experiences here. After all, this will be our first winter driving an EV.
I recently drove back from Cornwall to the midlands in torrential rain pretty much all the way home. With luggage and a wife and large dog on board, headlights on, demister and wipers going there was significant reduction in range as you’d probably expect.

Going down the previous week with 100% charge the car claimed it could make the journey without a stop but we stopped at Collumpton to use the super fast IONITY charger so we’d have some run around time when we arrived.

Coming back the forecast was we wouldn’t make it on one charge. The reduction in range was quite dramatic so we chose the most badly sited chargers at the worst possible time at the MacDonald site at Cribbs Causeway. It was heaving with burger monsters. However, we did drive straight into a space. When I say, “straight in” which would be the case for nose in charging but with an id4 reversing into an angled bay against traffic flow was tricky. That said, the InstaVolt 150Kw charger was fast and we were on our way after a short while.

Winter will have an effect, it’s bound to as soon as we start using heaters, heated seats and steering wheels and without a heat pump it’ll be more noticeable.
ID.4 1st edition
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

How did you manage to charge at 150kWh? Did your ID4 automatically reduce the charge rate? I'm pretty sure that the maximum charge rate is 125kWh.
EO Mini Pro 2
GJID4

Post by GJID4 »

Hi Warrior,
the car charges only at what the car's on board charger is limited to. The car and charger communicate during the power up sequence and its sorted out then
Regards,
G

(Proud owner of a ID4 1st Edition in Manganese Grey, on the road 20/06/2021, and passed the 20,000 mile mark on 9/11/2021!!) :D
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

GJID4 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:27 pm Hi Warrior,
the car charges only at what the car's on board charger is limited to. The car and charger communicate during the power up sequence and its sorted out then
Thanks for that, very useful to know.
EO Mini Pro 2
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

GJID4 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:27 pm (Proud owner of a ID4 1st Edition in Manganese Grey. on the road 20/06/2021, and passed the 10,000 mile mark on 11/09/2021!!)
Guessing I'm gonna hit the same kind of mileage. 3000 in 8 weeks!
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

First experience of very cold weather in the ID4 this morning. Front and rear screens iced up, but in around 2 minutes, both were clear thanks to the heated screens. I know that most cars have heated rear screens, but having the front one as well is excellent. It's also invisible, so no wires as in the early Ford models. One thing to note, obviously the battery will take a hit, but it only seemed to lose a few miles of range. I'm not complaining, I had clear vision and a warm car.
EO Mini Pro 2
mrmfirc

Post by mrmfirc »

We experienced the door mirrors failing to unfold recently on a cold morning last week. There was a light frost covering the car but the day was already starting to warm up. After a 10 minute drive, we were able to lock and unlock and have the mirrors fold out correctly.

We've now switched off the auto fold on lock option for the winter.

A previous BMW had the same issue but it seems a bit poor that the connections aren't better insulated.
ID4 City Pure 52 kWh
PodPoint Solo
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I’ve had something similar in the last week. I happens when I get the car heating up from the app. I unlock the car and they stay folded but open once seated and press the brake pedal. I think it’s triggered when the temp is below 4c like the ice warning light. I’ve not had the same as you though… yet.
ID.4 1st edition
Alb6363

Post by Alb6363 »

I had the same thing this morning but as soon as I turned the air con off from the app they unfolded straight away.