52kwh real world range

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
raybhoy26

Post by raybhoy26 »

My 52kW pure life ID 4 is currently getting around 120ish on an 80% charge (roughly doing 30 miles a d-y, 24 of them motorway driving). The weather in Scotland has been a bit up and down in terms of temperature but nothing too dramatic. In all honesty I am pretty disappointed in the range, VW is saying it is within expectation. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? I love the car but having a constant eye on the range and charging more frequently than initially presumed is the leading to a more negative experience.

Dowson86

Post by Dowson86 »

I’m getting the same but was kind of expecting it but hopefully in the summer (if Scotland gets one of them haha) it should go up to around 200 with not using the heating
Life Pure 52kw ID4 (glacier white)
Fester2020

Post by Fester2020 »

I've just home-charged overnight to 100% for the first time (adjusted it from the recommended 80 to see what it does) and my app is telling me 163 miles at 100%. A bit surprised at that, but it was cold overnight, so maybe that's the reason?
exwayf

Post by exwayf »

That sounds about right. I have a 1st Edition 77Kw and a crude extrapolation of 163 / 52 *77 give 241 miles which is what I get when charging to 100% recently for a couple of long trips.

Even then, what you get in reality will be a bit less depending on top speed and use of heating, wipers etc.
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the range. I bought a Peugeot e2008 in September- top on road range expected to be 170 but on long journey at 70 mph or even 60 mph it only did half that. When I went on an 80 mile(in total) round trip admittedly with 4 people in car and on way back raining and dark - I nearly used all the range so decided the car had to go. Luckily I was able to sell at a good price through Webuyanycar - lost a bit but not too bad. Bought a VWid4 Pro performance ex demonstrator which I am very pleased with - the range is more in line with expectations. I did research the Peugeot before buying and feel annoyed that the manufacturers and also the car reviewers do not give realistic guide to actual range. Manufacturers should have to quote the worst and best range to include range at 70mph as that is what you are likely to do on long journeys when range is critical. I did consider sending the car back on the grounds that it was missold but couldn't face the hassle - I do sometimes wonder if electric cars will be the next misselling scandal .

When I got a warning light showing 'electric drive error' 3 weeks after getting the id4 I found the other problem is that you can't get booked in for service/repair for about 3 weeks - I don't know if this is for all cars or just electric. Luckily the warning light went off next day and hasn't reappeared.

People told me I shouldn't buy electric as an only car but so far I am happy that I did - I think!
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've come to accept that the range is going to be nowhere near those stated in the brochures etc. and the Winter months and cold weather will take also their toll. Just like ICE vehicles, the faster you go, the less mpg you get. We're all on a huge learning curve and as time goes on, new technology will start to improve things. After all, when ICE vehicles first appeared, they were far from being the finished article.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

Warrior wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:33 am I've come to accept that the range is going to be nowhere near those stated in the brochures etc. and the Winter months and cold weather will take also their toll. Just like ICE vehicles, the faster you go, the less mpg you get. We're all on a huge learning curve and as time goes on, new technology will start to improve things. After all, when ICE vehicles first appeared, they were far from being the finished article.
Currently the VAG EVs are set that if the outside temp is less than 8 degrees the battery heater comes on, this uses a large amount of power and therefore short trips (even 30miles is a short trip) means you get a poor mi/kw. As part of version 3.0 they're apparently updating it to lower that temp to 0 degrees before it kicks in, so really it's only in the depths of winter it'll be burning power when potentially not needed. In our ID3 we were getting 2 to 2.5mi/kw for trips to the nursery over the winter which is about 3 miles away, giving it a poor range just doing those trips all the time,

It was put in at 8 degrees to protect the battery and its longevity, generally only needed for long journeys but of course the car doesn't know if its a short or long journey, but it's been found that was on the safe side.

Therefore over winter generally you'll start to see more total range from the car after 3.0 is in, heating the car will still be a factor but it's nothing in comparison to the battery heater and you can pre-heat as it uses less battery to maintain temp as opposed to getting a cold cabin up to 20deg.

You still need to expect that a 52kw battery isn't going to get you hundreds of miles.
ID4 Life 52kWh ordered Aug 16th 2021
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!