Drivers door opens on its own

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
LB1985

Post by LB1985 »

I've had a potentially dangerous situation this morning. Found the drivers door needed a second attempt to open from the outside to get in (initially I thought maybe I'd not actually unlocked the car). Got in, got settled and then realised the door wasn't closed properly. Closed it again (certain it was closed properly), drove off my drive and after a couple of seconds, the drivers door swung open by itself. Then a problem from yesterday's drive (first time it had happened) reappeared - auto hold not available. I'll give the dealer a call, but has anybody else experienced this? The car has almost 10,000 miles on the clock and neither issue had ever occurred before.

Needless to sat, the ID4 is now on the drive at home.as I didnt fancy an hour on the motorway in fear of the door doing its own thing!
VW ID4 52kWh Pure Life Moonstone Grey ordered 4 August 2021. Delivered 19 May 2022 :shock:

Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

Looks like it maybe a bit of a known issue
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/door-s ... rive.9706/

Also possibly linked to the Auto Hold issues that you're having as well
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/error- ... else.7485/

Looks like VW might be redesigning the part.
LB1985

Post by LB1985 »

Generationgav wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 am Looks like it maybe a bit of a known issue
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/door-s ... rive.9706/

Also possibly linked to the Auto Hold issues that you're having as well
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/error- ... else.7485/

Looks like VW might be redesigning the part.
Many thanks - very useful. Seems similar albeit not identical.

Today the car alarm went off on its own. Nobody or nothing nearby (car hasn't been driven since the attmpt on Friday). Then looked out of the door and spotted the drivers door was open. Something clearly not right!

Screenshot_20230205_154402_Gallery.jpg

VW ID4 52kWh Pure Life Moonstone Grey ordered 4 August 2021. Delivered 19 May 2022 :shock:
Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

That is quite scary - even if the latch had gone it's odd that it's actually opening itself. Please let us know what the dealer says.
LB1985

Post by LB1985 »

This is how I found it yesterday morning...

Screenshot_20230207_202548_Gallery.jpg

I was hoping to get the car picked up and taken to the dealer (22 miles away). Was told that the AA would have to assess the car first. AA technician said the car was full of electrical faults when he plugged in and the door was going nuts. He then offered to follow me to the dealership and cable tied the door shut with me in it (a truck would have been 6 hours or more). Got to the dealer and had a 15 min call today with them asking me for the whole story of what had happened. I await the outcome with interest and hope that VW will provide a loan car...
Gabby

Post by Gabby »

Hi
I have the exact same model and this has happened to me today. I was driving, we t around a corner and my drivers door swung wide open. It happened twice on a 3 mile journey to the vw garage. The central locking system could be heard engaging and disengaging roughly a dozen times too. Eventually as i pulled into the garage i had a dash error - Auto hold unavailable.

I spoke with the garage and they said it needed 3 days worth of updates and deemed it too unsafe to drive. I’ve had to fork out £250 for a hire car whilst it’s in for updates. Apparently the guy said amongst other updates is a door handle software update. Absolutely mental imo. Pure luck my kids weren’t in the car or that my door didn’t hit into oncoming traffic. Hideous design fault. I hope you got yours sorted. Thought I best post as you’re not alone. Mine is also the moonstone grey
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

Hi, there is a current VW recall related to the outer door handle. It's a software update. I had it done today at my VW dealer (car was in there for other reasons), might be the answer to the issues recorded I this thread? Let's hope so.
Cymrudragon444

Post by Cymrudragon444 »

I had the same issue this morning door opening when turning a corner and also auto hold unavailable.
This is a mobility vehicle. I contacted VW Cardiff. They told me they couldn't do anything about it until march. And the only other thing that I could do is to contact motability operations who would then put me in touch with the RAC who could come out and do a diagnostic test.
Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

Same has happened with mine now. It appears if I try to lock the door enough times it will lock and then is secure, but it's not ideal at all.

I've booked an "investigation" appointment with my dealer online, but does anybody know the timelines in getting it fixed as I really need my car to get around and it feels very unsafe at the moment.
Madmanc

Post by Madmanc »

Had this problem once didn't give it a thought never accured again but the problems with the door continued wouldn't unlock, hard to unlock and a couple of times couldn't open from the inside went into VW ok for a couple of weeks then same problem again I don't think VW know what's up with the door locking mechanism.