BP pulse 150kw

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I discovered a 150kw BP Pulse charger near me yesterday (it’s huge).
I thought I’d give it a try even though I had to pass a 75kw evyve charger to get to it. Anyway, i plugged in etc and it started at around 69kw so I thought it was just getting ready to fly up to the 130 ish max on my car. Nope, it stubbornly stuck at 69-70kw. I get a steady 71 from the evyve.
Any thoughts on this?
There wasn’t another car on the other outlet so I would’ve expected it to be around 100-130 at some point. My car was at about 36% when I started and stopped at 80%.
One possibility might be if there is a faulty cell or two in my battery causing a slower charge.
Over to the experts.
I noticed that the plug was pure DC, no AC pins in the type 2 part of the CCS plug.
ID.4 1st edition

Milk float driver

Post by Milk float driver »

Andy, I regularly use the ionity 350kw charger at Cullompton. I have arrived at various states of charge just to get the last leap into the southwest. Every visit I am disappointed with maxing out at 70kw if I am lucky, when the car next to me is pulling 100+. Overall I have never seen charge rate ever go above 70kw. Majority of the time mid 50's. Not sure what is happening even on a 75kw charger I have reached 55kw. Battery was on a recall and checked in Solihull BC with no issues running 3.2 and not seen any change. I have learnt to live with it
ejnar

Post by ejnar »

There is an article here, showing charging characteristics. It begins to reduce at about 30%:
https://insideevs.com/news/492606/volks ... -analysis/

/Ejnar
ID.4 Pro Performance, Family edition received October 2021. Finally on SW version 3.2 since 1-Dec-2023.
Denmark
Deltadave

Post by Deltadave »

So far as I am aware, it can also be that the charger itself can be struggling to draw the power from the grid… might not be a vehicle issue at all!
Pro 77kwh 3.2 software
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Used the BP charger again today. As my battery was quite low at 15% (by the time I got there). Started at 126kw and dropped steadily throughout the charge to about 80+Kw bang on half an hour which I think is pretty impressive. I also discovered a small park off the back of the garage so next time I can take the dog for a walk while I wait. Win Win.
ID.4 1st edition
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

AndyF wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:28 pm Used the BP charger again today. As my battery was quite low at 15% (by the time I got there). Started at 126kw and dropped steadily throughout the charge to about 80+Kw bang on half an hour which I think is pretty impressive. I also discovered a small park off the back of the garage so next time I can take the dog for a walk while I wait. Win Win.
By way of comparison between the two charges I’ve had on the same BP pulse charger from the same one of the two available cables and no other cars attached. Difference was the first charge I started from 30+%, the second was from 15%. Got into full swing this time.

IMG_1436.jpeg

ID.4 1st edition