ID4 Software Development Roadmap

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
icowden

Post by icowden »

Anyone know if there is a development roadmap for the ID4 software, and / or a user group or feature request process to help with development?

I'd be interested to know what they have planned. Some of my current bugbears are:
  • UI is very slow
  • If my wife is the user in the car then I can't access via the app
  • key heater controls (e.g. steering wheel) require multiple taps to get to
  • audio balance between bluetooth android auto and DAB radio is off
  • No quick mute
  • smart nav lights don't link with android auto or apple car play even though the dash does
  • No lock on walk away option
I'm sure there are more...

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

One I can answer ( the rest is above my pay scale)
Quick mute… tap the power button on the infotainment unit.
ID.4 1st edition
Vander

Post by Vander »

It may be that VW might not see any commercial advantage to making public their software roadmap? As regards feedback avenues, they seem to engage with the Facebook group (I'm not a FB'er so don't know to what extent), and they are usually somewhat responsive to emails about the app and its development, but I'd agree they're not exactly "open-book".

On bugbears:-

UI isn't the best, but certainly usable, for the most part. "Very slow" is of course subjective - what version are you on?

User access is protected for privacy reasons. I'm sure this is designed in, and won't be changed.

I agree that multiple taps on the screen is frustrating (and not particularly safe), but you can always use voice commands. I turned off the wake word as it frequently misrecognised ordinary conversation, but i's one quick tap of the 'attention' button on the steering wheel, then the command "turn on the steering wheel". Even "My bottom's cold" works for the heated seat!

Audio balance - I noticed this, then noticed it was also the case when I linked my (android) phone to my Alexa. On closer looking, I had a "Media volume limit" set in the phone. Removing that and setting bluetooth volume higher in the phone helped enormously.

Quick mute - What AndyF said

Not sure about the Nav thing - I'm pretty sure that the ID light (and HUD directions) works in mine when on Android Auto....? I'm on V3.0 - how about you?

Lock on walk away - it would be nice, but it wasn't in the sales brochure. Perhaps a feature to sell us in the shop later?

V
ID4 Max Kings Red
Ordered Nov 21
Mar 23 order status: 10
Apr 23 Cancelled, tired of waiting.

ID5 Tech Pro in the meantime. V3.0 from the factory.
icowden

Post by icowden »

Yes, I'm also on 3.0. I don't see that there would be any commercial disadvantage.
One advantage is to let prospective buyers know that there are new and better features in development.

I agree that slow is subjective but having rented a Tesla for a day, the experience is light years apart.
I understand that User Access is protected for privacy reasons but surely both I and my wife should be able to tell the car to warm itself up, regardless of who logged in last? It's hard to see any advantage of the user profile anyway.
Thanks for the tips about the audio - I shall investigate!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'm on 3.1 with Android auto the directions/junction information appears on the drivers display (if you change the view) but the ID light bar is inactive.
I don't mind but would be nice if it worked too, but its prob not a standard Android auto feature, and I guess VW might see it as their USP for using the built-in navigation.

The ID voice recognition is really bad, I switched it off too and only activate it via the steering wheel button to stop it constantly assuming it's needed when it isn't. (Even then when called up it mostly says sorry ... Please wait... Then responds with something unrelated to what it was asked for ;) )

With Tesla I'd agree their SW is generally light years ahead, but also remember they don't offer Android auto, or apple carplay integration at all.

Re the user profiles I find it annoying that it sits on the screen waiting for you to select one, even if there is only one profile,
ID.4 Life 52kwh, Moonstone Grey. ordered 21/10/21, confirmed build wk 33, delivered 13/10/22.

Get £50 credit and switch to Octopus with me https://share.octopus.energy/wind-quoll-8400
Vander

Post by Vander »

My bad - I have just tested the nav with Google Maps / Android Auto and as MikeS said, there's no ID light action, although I do get turn-by-turn graphics on the dash and on the Head-up display.
ID4 Max Kings Red
Ordered Nov 21
Mar 23 order status: 10
Apr 23 Cancelled, tired of waiting.

ID5 Tech Pro in the meantime. V3.0 from the factory.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

MikeS wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:00 pm I'm on 3.1 with Android auto the directions/junction information appears on the drivers display (if you change the view) but the ID light bar is inactive.
I don't mind but would be nice if it worked too, but its prob not a standard Android auto feature, and I guess VW might see it as their USP for using the built-in navigation.

The ID voice recognition is really bad, I switched it off too and only activate it via the steering wheel button to stop it constantly assuming it's needed when it isn't. (Even then when called up it mostly says sorry ... Please wait... Then responds with something unrelated to what it was asked for ;) )

With Tesla I'd agree their SW is generally light years ahead, but also remember they don't offer Android auto, or apple carplay integration at all.

Re the user profiles I find it annoying that it sits on the screen waiting for you to select one, even if there is only one profile,
Apple Maps have displayed in the driver display since I’ve had the car, surprised android has only done it since v3.0. Perhaps it’s an android thing rather than VW. The ID light doesn’t link to Apple Maps though. However, my watch taps me on the wrist 😬
ID.4 1st edition