Self seal puncture.

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Has anyone had a proper puncture with Bridgestone turanza self seal tyres.
This morning I heard a tick tick sound as I was driving along so I investigated the cause.
Unfortunately I saw the hex head of a screw doing an adequate impression of a snow stud.
There was no deflation and the tyre warning wasn’t showing. I steadily returned home and carefully removed the screw with my socket wrench. There was a brief psst, then nothing more than a bubble of black sealant.
That was four hours ago and there’s no evidence of deflation. Seems like it works. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

ID.4 1st edition

exwayf

Post by exwayf »

Yes, I had one earlier this year. I got a warning about tyre pressure on the back nearside wheel being low. Crept home and found a screw in the tyre the next day. Removed it, hiss, self sealed, pumped it back to the required pressure. Nervous for the first few journeys but have forgotten about it since. Glad a new tyre was not required as they are very expensive.
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

exwayf wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:44 pm Yes, I had one earlier this year. I got a warning about tyre pressure on the back nearside wheel being low. Crept home and found a screw in the tyre the next day. Removed it, hiss, self sealed, pumped it back to the required pressure. Nervous for the first few journeys but have forgotten about it since. Glad a new tyre was not required as they are very expensive.
Amazing isn’t it. No loss of pressure yet, checked this morning. You’re not wrong on the cost, mine are only about 3000 miles old and at £250 per corner it would be devastating. Pretty impressive.
ID.4 1st edition
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

AndyF wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:06 pm
exwayf wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:44 pm Yes, I had one earlier this year. I got a warning about tyre pressure on the back nearside wheel being low. Crept home and found a screw in the tyre the next day. Removed it, hiss, self sealed, pumped it back to the required pressure. Nervous for the first few journeys but have forgotten about it since. Glad a new tyre was not required as they are very expensive.
Amazing isn’t it. No loss of pressure yet, checked this morning. You’re not wrong on the cost, mine are only about 3000 miles old and at £250 per corner it would be devastating. Pretty impressive.
It’s still okay by the way.
ID.4 1st edition